lunes, 14 de febrero de 2011

WRITING PART 1 AND 2 - INFORMAL AND FORMAL LETTERS/EMAILS

Writing Part 1 or 2 (120 - 150 Words for Part 1 and up to 180 words for Part 2)


INFORMAL LETTER / EMAIL
Salution/greeting
Dear penfriend/Bob, (for a letter)
Hi penfriend/Bob./! (for an email)
Opening paragraph when writing for the first time
This is just a note to say that... / to tell you about...


(Write 1 or 2 sentences explaining why you are writing and say something friendly / relevant if appropriate).
Opening paragraph for a reply letter/email
Thanks for your letter / email, I really enjoyed reading it. I´m really sorry about.../ I´m really proud of.../I´m really glad/pleased that/to hear (that)... This is just a note to say that.../to tell you about... 
(Write 1 or 2 sentences explaining why you are writing and say something friendly / relevant).
Main paragraphs


Useful language
By the way, ...
About (the / your)...,
Speaking of..,
Your... sounds an excellent idea and...
As for...
Is all right if / for me to...? (use direct questions)
Oh, I almost forgot!
(There are always 4 points to discuss. These ideas should be divided into 2 paragraphs and sometimes you can include one of the points in the opening itself. One of the 4 points must be discussed in more detail. This is called expansion. Read the task / instructions carefully because sometimes there is an additional point that should be discussed. Don’t forget to try to introduce each idea with a connector, expression and/or direct question to sound more natural).
Closing paragraph 
(Well, got to go now because I have to...) Looking forward to hearing from you again soon / ...seeing you soon. Oh, I almost forgot!
(Close you letter /email by explaining that you must stop writing if word length is not a problem, otherwise use standard closing expression. One of the four ideas could also be mentioned here briefly)

Farewell 
Regards,/Best wishes,/Lots of love,/Take care,
SING your name. 

FORMAL LETTER / EMAIL (No contractions!)
Salutation
Dear Sir or Madam, (1)
Dear Mr / Miss / Miss / Mrs or Ms Benson,(2)
Opening paragraph when writing for the first time and when replying
I am writing... to request information about.../ enquire about.../ complain about.../ apologise (for sth... /  to sb...) / inform you about.../ explain.../ with reference to... 
(Write 1 or 2 sentences explaining why you are writing).
Main paragraphs


Useful language
Regarding your / the...,
With reference to...,
You mentioned...,
You asked / enquired about....,
I would like information on / about... / Do you know What / when... (use polite / indirect questions).
(There are always 4 points to discuss. these ideas should be divided into 2 paragraphs and sometimes you can include one of the points in the opening itself. One of the 4 points must be discussed in more detail. This is called expansion. Don’t forget to try to introduce each idea with a connector, expression and/or indirect question to sound more natural).
Closing paragraph
I look forward to hearing you.
(Remember: I´m looking forward... is informal)
Farewell
Yours faithfully, (1)
Yours sincerely/truly, (2)
Sign your name and surname.



STAY TUNED FOR A LIST OF USEFUL LANGUAGE FOR INFORMAL/FORMAL LETTERS/EMAILS.




And now, an exercise to practise the differences between an informal and formal letter / email. Choose the words that are more formal and appropriate in this particular letter.We will discuss what makes a letter / email more or less formal in class. 




Dear Jack / Sir or Madam or Mr Smith,


I am writing / This is just a note to confirm a reservation that was made / I asked you for this morning by telephone. The reservation, for a couple of / two nights, is for me / myself, Manny Cruise.


I want / would like a room with a bathroom, from 12-14 July inclusive. I will be attending / 'm going to pop into the Trade Fair that is being held / is going on in Bristol that week.


Is it all right / Would it be possible for me to have a room at the back of the hotel? I think / am afraid that the room I was given / you gave me last year was rather / really noisy.


Thank you / Thanks for sending me the brochure about / regarding your conference facilities, which I got / received this morning. They look most interesting / great. Unfortunately, / I'm sorry I can't give you / am unable to provide you with any definite dates at the moment / now, as / because we have yet to finalize / sort out the details of our sales conference. But / However, I will contact you / drop you a line as soon as I can / possible.


I look / 'm looking forward to meeting you on 12 July.


Best wishes / Yours faithfully or sincerely,


Manny Cruise / Manny




Have a look at the answer below. Blue is for FORMAL REGISTER and Red for INFORMAL REGISTER.





Dear Jack / Sir or Madam or Mr Smith,

I am writing / This is just a note to confirm a reservation that was made / I asked you for this morning by telephone. The reservation, for a couple of / two nights, is for me / myself, Manny Cruise.

I want / would like a room with a bathroom, from 12-14 July inclusive. I will be attending / 'm going to pop into the Trade Fair that is being held / is going on in Bristol that week.

Is it all right / Would it be possible for me to have a room at the back of the hotel? I think / am afraid that the room I was given / you gave me last year was rather / really noisy.

Thank you / Thanks for sending me the brochure about / regarding your conference facilities, which I got / received this morning. They look most interesting / greatUnfortunately, / I'm sorry I can't give you / am unable to provide you with any definite dates at the moment / nowas / because we have yet to finalize / sort out the details of our sales conference. But / HoweverI will contact you / drop you a line as soon as I can / possible.

I look / 'm looking forward to meeting you on 12 July.

Best wishes / Yours faithfully or sincerely,

Manny Cruise / Manny

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario